Greg promises to have the first tech glich free presentation – yeah!
Let’s start out with a pop quiz: Conversion rate for average e-commerce site is? Answer: 2.2% (via shop.org). That means you are failing 97.8% of the time. That’s the number you should be focused on.
Did you know that a typical companies pay roughly 88:1 on traffic acquistion over optimization – Yikes!
The main thread of the rest of the talk will be relevance. It’s all about getting the right message to the right customers at the right time.
3 first steps:
- Believe in data – because hunches never trump data.
- You must learn – put things in place to learn more about your customers.
- Stay on Target – You must know your key metrics for success so you can test the right things.
10 Ideas for 2012 to convert your current visitors
- Don’t treat everyone like it’s their first visit.
- Create ways for visitors to self-select.
- Use geo-targeting to better deliver relevant messages.
- Speak their language.
- Use online behavior to trigger marketing messages.
- Use the weather.
- Using dayparting in your Paid Search.
- Don’t assume what works for others will work for you.
- Consider the device.
- Use relevant messaging to meet your goals.
The 5 T’s of Testing
- Team that totally buys in to the process
- Trust in the data
- Technology needs to be locked down, one typo in the code can ruin everything.
- You really need enough Traffic to get enough data
- You can’t rush it, you need to spend the Time to get it right